Every year, while aspects of the way people travel for business may change, the importance of speed and connection remains at the top of business traveller’s needs. Travellers and travel bookers can benefit by choosing routes and airlines that transit through airports offering the easiest and fastest connections.
The latest OAG Megahubs International Index 2018 shows the world’s most internationally linked airports by comparing the number of scheduled connections to and from international flights with the number of destinations served from the airport.
The index provides a ratio by which airports can be ranked on a metric known as their Connectivity Index (CI). Based on data of the world’s 200 largest airports, we have taken the top 25 hubs and created an easily digestible visual of locations, found below.
- Once again, the London Heathrow Airport (LHR) maintains its number one spot, with quite a significant ICI margin over its nearest rival. On the busiest day in 2018, the airport listed 66,000 possible international connections between flights arriving and departing at the airport within a six-hour window.
- Chicago O’Hare (ORD) has progressed up the index to 2nd place this year. The airport had the potential for more international connections although spread across a greater number of destinations. The next top mega-hub in North America is Toronto Airport (YYZ) coming in at 5th place.
- Sydney Airport (SYD) makes an entrance on the list at number 29, the only Australian airport on the list.
- In the neighbouring Asian region, Singapore Changi Airport (SIN) retains the top spot on the index at 8th place. This is followed by Jakarta Airport (CGK) and KUL in 10th and 12th place respectively.
- The USA is the most represented country on the list with seven airports represented in the top 25.
- Travellers could save time, and hassle, on their next business trip by transiting through one of the world’s top 25 most connected airports:
(Click to enlarge)
How many of the world’s top 25 most connected airports have you visited?
SHARE THIS PAGE:
For a free, no-obligation review of your travel program, or for further business travel tips and travel management advice, get in touch with a CTM travel expert: